CAPS COOKBOOK CHALLENGE - WEEK 3: ALEX OVECHKIN'S CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
We're in our third week of the Caps Cookbook Challenge and we sure are enjoying all of the happy cooks out there recreating recipes from the cookbook!
Congratulations to our Week 2 winner, Sheila Sullivan! You can check out the winning photos on our Facebook page.
The next SuperFd recipe we invite you to recreate is that of Ovi the Gr8! Chicken Tortilla Soup is a fave of Alex Ovechkin and a perfect way to give a last hurrah to the chilly weather that will soon make an exit. Try your hand at this dish and be sure to tag us using the #CapsCookbook hashtag. See the recipe below and check out the video segment with Chef Robbie and NBC4's Erika Gonzalez.
Greatest of luck!
• 1 large sweet onion, diced
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
• 2 red peppers, large dice
• 1 dried pasilla chile, stemmed and seeded
• 15 ounces fire roasted tomatoes, diced
• 3 quarts chicken stock
• 2 cups shredded chicken, marinated in fajita marinade (see recipe on page 17)
• Toppings: freshly fried tortilla strips, guacamole, lime, sour cream or crema, shredded Jack cheese
- Roasting the pasilla chile really brings some great smoky flavors into this soup. Turn it over an open flame for just a couple seconds until it becomes aromatic. When it cools off, break it up into pieces and throw in the blender with the canned tomatoes. Puree into a smooth paste, reserve.
- Sauté the onions, garlic, and red peppers until nicely browned.
- Add the tomato puree and scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook the tomato puree over medium-high heat until reduced and thick.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. Finish with shredded chicken and warm thoroughly. Serve with all of your toppings in festive bowls.
A recipe will be posted from the Cooking with the Caps cookbook every Monday for four weeks.
If you feel like you got what it takes, recreate the recipe at home. Be sure to get some great pictures because the best one will be selected and announced as the winner. Tag us in your photos and use the #CapsCookbook hashtag so we can select from the wonderful pics.
What do you get for all of that hard work in the kitchen? A copy of Cooking with the Caps Cookbook signed by a Caps player! Winners are announced on Monday.