CAPS COOKBOOK CHALLENGE - WEEK 4: DANIEL WINNICK'S MARINATED BEEF ON BUNS
We're in our fourth and final week of the Caps Cookbook Challenge and we have to give congratulations to our Week 3 winner, Megan Grimes! She did a pretty amazing job on Alex Ovechkin's favorite SuperFd recipe, Chicken Tortilla Soup! Jersey backdrop included. You can check out the winning photo on our Facebook page.
The next Cooking with the Capitals Cookbook is a Winnick family recipe. Marinated Beef on Buns is a favorite family meal and comfort food of Daniel Winnick's that was submitted by his wife, Taylor. We must say this is a pretty tasty dish, and we had the help of our own Chef Robert Wood and CSN's Jill Sorenson to show us how to put it all together. Be on the lookout for that video.
Greatest of luck!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar (add a little less if you wish)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- A pinch of ground ginger
- 2 pounds eye of round roast
- ½ cup of water
- 8 buns (Kaiser or Onion buns work well)
- Combine onion, ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, oil, vinegar, garlic powder, and ginger.
- Place roast in 11 x 7 inch glass baking or other non-metal ovenproof dish. Prick with a fork to allow marinade to penetrate. Pour marinade over meat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove roast from fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Stir water into marinade; cover dish with foil.
- Cook in preheated 350 degree oven about 2 hours, or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees for medium or 155 degrees for medium-rare.
- Slice roast very thinly. Serve on buns, with marinade as dipping sauce.
A recipe will be posted from the Cooking with the Caps cookbook every Monday for four weeks.
If you feel like you got what it takes, recreate the recipe at home. Be sure to get some great pictures because the best one will be selected and announced as the winner. Tag us in your photos and use the #CapsCookbook hashtag so we can select from the wonderful pics.
What do you get for all of that hard work in the kitchen? A copy of Cooking with the Caps Cookbook signed by a Caps player! Winners are announced on Monday.